Writing an eBook is challenging and time-consuming, requiring knowledge of various editing processes and specific formatting standards. It’s a process where every little detail can affect the success and future sales. This guide will help you learn how to write an eBook correctly by following the rules, recommendations, and practical examples. We have collected and systematized all the essential information to help you start our cooperation and achieve the best results as you work on your eBook.
What is an eBook?
Although most people might have seen and heard the eBook term before, only a few know about all the benefits and peculiarities of writing and trying to publish an eBook. In simple terms, it represents a book in a special electronic format, making reading it on a computer or relevant handheld device possible. Depending on the chosen format, it may or may not represent special editing and notes features.
As you plan to make an online book, it must be noted that a scanned book or copying of a precise book in print does not represent an eBook per se. Let’s review typical eBook characteristics:
Technically speaking, the final content represents the industry standards for an eBook or a particular e-reader, not the source content you work with. So, what is an eBook as such? The most important feature of an eBook is that you can work with the conversion of the source files. You can bring your manuscript into the digital realm or work with diverse files and formats that must be adjusted for downloading or reading purposes. It will always depend on the book type, genre conventions, multimedia elements used, formatting, and content you’d like to deliver to your target audience. Therefore, it’s crucial to learn more about every eBook writing detail before you start and decide what fits you the best way!
The eBook benefits you should know
Why would an author choose an eBook over a classic book in print? Leaving the tactile matters and the adherence to reading habits aside, many benefits include the final costs and the logistics crucial for distributing your content worldwide. As we have already learned what is an eBook and how does it work, it’s high time to learn more about the practical benefits. These will show why choosing an eBook is one of the most efficient solutions these days:
Starting in the late 1990s, eBooks have taken the world by storm as there were personal digital assistants that could open various book-reading formats. It was yet before the common use of smartphones and tablets! Yet even in the not-so-distant past, people have been trying to achieve more comfort by having their beloved books by their side as they studied and worked on their school assignments. While only a few people knew how to make digital books, it was relatively easy to access an electronic book simply by downloading it to the hardware reader and continuing to read books basically anywhere. As long as the device was charged, it was possible to travel and read while easily accessing quotes or sought-after information by typing a keyword.
Although there was some decline in sales of eBooks after 2000, there has also been a significant increase in digital sales by 18% of all books sold worldwide as of 2021. Turning to statistical data from 2019, we have over 191 million eBooks sold in 2020, which is a significant 12.35% increase compared to the past year.
Interestingly, adult fiction takes around 40% of all eBook sales. It has been estimated that we have approximately 364.38 eBooks sold per minute! As more people have learned how to make an eBook and how to find ghostwriters, the content quality has improved as well, with more variety and genres included. The reason for that is related to extended content creation and editing tool features. It became much easier to include additional publishing data and information that helps the creators to protect, watermark, and distribute the content much faster and easier.
As a rule, it’s much easier to distribute an eBook compared to physical mediums. It’s easy to access and calculate the costs since one deals with a digital realm. Since every element is digital, there won’t be any printing or paper-related delays in production. Unlike a physical book, creating digital books allows you to include web links that will be active (you can visit them online) and add multimedia elements like audio and video files that can be played back or seen in a built-in video player. Making an eBook, all of it can be included in one of the eBook formats, thus creating a complete source of information by a particular author that goes beyond the typical book.
As long as there is a possibility to use an eBook reader or laptop software options to access a digital book, you can get your message across anywhere in the world. Since expanding your content is possible, you won’t have to force your readers to look for additional information anywhere. Modern eBooks include relevant charts, high-quality graphics elements that can be zoomed in and all the possible multimedia elements that can always come along with the digital file, thus helping you as a writer to make your message clear. Now, how do I write an eBook and save the most funds? The answer is to create a digital-format eBook, of course! It’s the low-cost and portability aspects.
Just think, you can pick up your library’s content in a Kindle without carrying a heavy suitcase filled with books, like several decades ago. Of course, you can always print out the digital book later and have it read the old way, yet if you care for our environment, digital books also address this aspect!
Learning eBook file formats
Before we write and create a PDF eBook, learning more about various formats and the respective steps is vital. Many traditional electronic book types implement other formats, depending on the device or software used to access and edit the book.
10 elementary steps for writing an impeccable book
Now that we know more about format types and the benefits to consider, let’s review the steps and approaches that can be used to create an excellent book that fully represents your writing, editing, and design potential. Before starting, here are the vital steps you must consider:
- Research your target audience. One of the most important points to consider is researching your target audience’s needs and finding your place in the book market. Depending on the genre, you may approach ghostwriting services and learn more about the rules that must be followed for your particular book type or the ideas you would like to deliver. It will help you to avoid the most common mistakes in your eBook making before you start! Ask yourself what people will learn from your book and why it’s the right time to publish it with a certain agenda. Research what is missing and be bold and brainstorm things with a publisher!
- Choose a competitive book topic. The subject of your book must inspire you and show outstanding subject knowledge. If your book deals with a specific problem, ensure you help your readers find the solution and understand why something matters. Consider researching similar eBooks to see how they have approached this or that issue. Ask yourself about what makes your book subject and approach unique. As you learn how to start an eBook, define the purpose of your writing by creating at least five points. Additionally, create a thesis or a punchline for your book that will work as a motto for your writing and future sales.
For example, “X Ways to Overcome Depression”, “How a Little Girl Fought Loneliness”, or “The easy way to learn C++ Programming”. It will also work as the sales line for your marketing team!
- Structure and outline.
- “How-to” approach. It is where you work with the solutions by explaining how to achieve something and become successful. You have to pose a problem and explain your solution method. Learning how to make a book online uses an explanatory tone as you focus on the solutions by offering your readers the way out or instruction on HOW TO approach something.
- “Leveling up” structure. Use this type of structure to help people improve their skills and boost their understanding of some subject (even if it’s a fiction book).
- “Wait, but why?” method. It is one of the development methods used for children’s literature as you bring in a surprise element and approach things differently. It should offer a special EUREKA moment!
- Work on your book content. To make an eBook work for your readers, you must focus on the content, explain the main reason behind your book, and work on the dialogues, setting, and tone. It should remain the same all through the book! Provide examples to help readers relate to your subject regardless of the chosen topic. Such an approach will help you to brainstorm the best ideas and avoid the reader’s boredom because of repetition.
- Facts checking stage. It’s essential to check the validity of your facts and terms (especially for scientific publishing). Besides, you should not forget the importance of storytelling (author’s voice) as you have to deliver your message. Your content must find a call-back element among your readers. If the talk concerns self-help or business books, offer examples and do not be afraid to include at least three case studies. Remind yourself you only learn how to create an online book to prove your methodology. Focus on the central question and the list of solutions. Summarize and, if necessary, repeat your thesis more than once. Dealing with the business side, you can provide information about your expertise and trustworthiness by placing a call to action where necessary!
- Use storytelling techniques. Talking about complex and sensitive issues like racism or domestic abuse, you should become a nameless and genderless storyteller who will use inspiration and talk to everyone regardless of age, ethnicity, and gender. Likewise, when you are telling a story meant to impress, an important part of eBook creation is the focus on various techniques that can be used to tell a story. For example, dealing with a younger audience, you can use metaphors and allegories by making complex things more suitable, e.g., by turning to talk to animals or usually inanimate objects.
- Design matters. You must choose appropriate fonts and headings and add images or multimedia elements. If you are unsure how to deal with design challenges, it’s best to seek examples you like. Thus, you can use free templates to increase your income or create something unique with a designer’s help.
- Editing and proofreading. It is one of the most important parts to consider. If you need clarification on grammar as you learn how to write an eBook to sell well and need an expert to help you, consider eBook editing services for this purpose, and make sure to use footnotes and the glossary if you find it necessary. Discuss this aspect with a trained specialist to stay safe!
- Choosing relevant file format. Since we have reviewed various eBook formats, choosing the best file extension that fits your needs and the audience is vital. A good solution would be to talk to the sales team and the web platforms. You should ask about the most supported and popular formats among their customers based on the book’s type and length.
- Web representation and landing pages. As you learn how to make an online book, remember to create a personal social media page for your book. Thus, you can use the landing page technique to promote publication and communicate with your customers to answer their feedback and create a positive image. It’s the best way to boost your sales, stay in touch with your readers, and let them learn more about the author.
Types of eBooks you may meet
As is the case with the books that you are preparing for publishing in print, there are many types you can consider for digital publishing purposes. Starting with the themes you can have, it’s recommended to focus on informational eBooks or business writing that will work as the manual for your reader. Learning how to make an online book, remember that anything available online can be used for educational purposes.
Likewise, as you create an eBook for Kindle sales, you can follow the novel eBook genre conventions and add exceptional graphics or even a video presentation (especially if you aim at an Apple eBook reader audience). The same works for fiction eBooks that are popular among the digital audience.
- Research books. These are scientific materials or books that pose certain research. Most research works are constantly updated and add new data to the specific methodology. Consequently, turning to eBooks is one of the most efficient ways to keep things fresh and add comments from fellow researchers or particular notes. Using graphs and other tiny elements that can be zoomed in is one of the essential eBook benefits.
- Case study writing. When dealing with Economics, Healthcare, Law, or Medical Studies, using case study writing eBooks is another essential eBook quite popular these days.
- Product demo books. While it may not relate to an explanation of how to write eBooks and make money, dealing with demos and presentations in the digital format is one of the modern marketing methods to consider. The examples here include hotel presentations, real estate short books, and anything that helps to distribute certain products.
- Interviews. These may include autobiographies, memoirs, and personal interviews united by a common topic or a time chronology. These books can be edited and made vivid with the help of audio snippets and photography.
- Playbooks. From foreign language textbooks to educational textbooks for youngsters, you may share your methodology once you know how to create a PDF eBook and distribute it correctly. You can add pictures, coloring features, and things that can be printed out.
- Series of blog posts. Anything can relate here! If you are dealing with an eBook cookbook or guitar lessons by some celebrity professional, choosing an eBook is one of the best and most efficient solutions.
Would it be beneficial to write an eBook?
You are making your written content accessible anywhere and can edit your book later if some corrections should be made without having to issue another edition. It’s also much cheaper than printing and helps you save time and resources on logistics, as you can get published immediately.
How should I structure my eBook?
It will always depend on the genre and book type. Follow the genre conventions but remember that creating a digital book also allows adding web links, audio, video, and other multimedia elements. It is an aspect to consider as you work on your structure.
Is it possible to edit an eBook after publishing?
Yes, it’s quite easy as you only have to use the eBook reader by using your author’s access rights to an online book and making edits. Alternatively, you can contact the publishing company and edit things there.
What might work well for eBook content?
Anything that would work for selling with a typical book in print. If you are dealing with technical content or books with a complex table of contents, create a digital book with a clickable structure. It will help your readers to navigate things easier as you can also leave notes and author’s comments.
How can a person read an eBook?
It can be done via a hardware eBook reader or use any software that works on a laptop, tablet, or smartphone ─ starting with the hardware readers (Amazon Kindle Kids, Nook, Kobo Libra, Amazon Kindle Paperwhite) to ePubor Reader, Freda, or Book Viser software.
Why Start With an eBook Now?
Now that we have learned the basic information on how to write an eBook and achieve success, you should remember that it’s also the best way to share your expertise and get your message heard by people all over the world. Our specialists know how to provide you with exclusive and detailed eBook writing services. Knowing how to write eBooks based on this guide, you will know where to start and what questions to ask as you present your manuscript and evaluate the options.
When you have a bright idea to consider and can’t wait to share it, approaching eBook file format with all the design and editing options is the best way to go! We know all the standards that must be followed and will provide you with the most efficient solutions and assistance with keeping your ideas written down and edited to perfection! Just get in touch with our experts and share your thoughts to let them help you make eBooks that sell the best way and bring you success and recognition. We are happy to assist you with any book type and genre to help you write eBooks and make money!